Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question that isn’t answered here? Contact us and let us know!
Where is Bulgaria?
Bulgaria is located in Eastern Europe, just north of Greece and south of Romania.
How long have you been in Bulgaria? How long will you be there?
Natalie first came to Bulgaria in 2002, and knew very quickly that God was calling her to serve here long-term. She came back every year until she met Shawn. Shawn first came in 2006 (on a trip that ended two weeks before their wedding), and also quickly fell in love with Bulgaria. From that time, we came back every year – sometimes twice – always looking toward the day that God would allow us to move. That day came in July, 2015. Bulgaria is now home for us, and unless God calls us somewhere else, is the place we will live out the rest of our lives.
What do you do in Bulgaria?
We have a few areas that we either focus on or are involved in:
1. Discipleship. Shawn works as a leader in the youth ministry of our church in Sofia, and also leads a weekly International Bible Study at the BigHouse.
2. Orphan Care. We work with orphans all over Bulgaria, and currently focus on two homes – one for special-needs babies, and one for kids from age 3-18.
3. Adoption. We do our best to help familes from the U.S. who are adopting from Bulgaria, both throughout the process and when they are here in-country.
4. the BigHouse. We have a community center in the heart of Sofia, where we do regular activities such as Bible study, game nights, English club, etc. as well as craft nights and other intermittent events. the BigHouse also houses our clothes closet and food pantry, used for helping homeless and poor people in our community. We are trying to foster a culture of people caring for and helping others. All of these things are used as a means of introducing people to the Gospel.
How can we help?
There are several ways you can help:
1. Prayer. We absolutely believe in the power of prayer.